The building is like the prow of a ship ready to weigh anchor and set sail on the main dam hammer Ferrol port open to the views of the estuary.
To meet this challenge scenic resort to a formal repertoire based on pure volume, on the one hand, are integrated into the geometry of the dam itself and, secondly, they rely on the proper forms of naval architecture.
From a functional standpoint, the building houses the program uses proposed by the Port Authority from its upper floors allowing the total perimeter view of the port and the estuary. An external ramp system saves the difference in height between the sea wall of the dock and deck access passable.
Consequently, the priority objectives to be attained by the solution are:
- Uniqueness and representation. The building must become, in the Outer Harbour, a landmark and focus.
- Functionality and flexibility. Both the concept of space in the design of the structure and facilities, we have searched the building to be versatile and adaptable to changes in the future as needed.
- Intelligent building and architecture “high tech”. Provide the latest technological innovations in materials, especially in installations, configurations and an “intelligent building” and situated in what is known as architecture “high tech”.
- Economy, Maintenance, Operations. Achieving long-term economic investment for quality construction and simplicity of design, maintenance and operation costs reduced.
To achieve those objectives, we have adopted the following basic design criteria:
1. The building as a container.
2. Clearness and transparency.
3. Energy efficiency.
Location: Ferrol, La Coruña, España
Architects: Díaz y Díaz Arquitectos, Antonio Desmonts Sierra
Type: Edificio Transporte / Transport Building
Client: Autoridad Portuaria de Ferrol – San Cibrao
Area: 2130 m²
Images: Eloy Taboada